Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Spirit

It's been a long time since I walked out of a movie theater, but this one justified it. Laurie and I were in New Orleans for Christmas, and she won some movie passes in a White Elephant gift exchange. We wanted to go see Valkyrie, but it was sold out. Hey, I said, The Spirit opened as well. Big mistake. I hadn't seen the ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. I'll never make that mistake again.

Remember Derek's Movie Review Maxim: If most critics say it's good, they're sometimes right and sometimes wrong; if most critics say it's bad, they're almost always right.

Well, they were right about this one. It was a big, steaming pile of dookie. It was like someone took Sin City, sucked out all the good stuff (like interesting characters), and left a hollow, stupid movie with the same graphical style. You know you're in trouble in an early scene when the good guy and the bad guy whale on each other with toilet seats and punch each other dozens of times and neither one gets a scratch. Why the hell should I care about a fight in which no one has the capacity to get hurt?

Anyway, it was crap. Avoid at all cost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think my cracking point was this bit of dialogue:

Villain: Where is the [thing that I desperately want]? It should have been in this box!

Stupid Minion: It must be in the other box!

Villain: What other box?

Stupid Minion: It must be in the other box!


Yech.