Thursday, November 6, 2008

What If...?

Marvel Comics had a series called "What If...?" where it explored such fascinating hypotheticals as:

So how about a little "What If...?" with the McCain campaign. What if...Kay Bailey Hutchison had been chosen as McCain's running mate, instead of Sarah Palin?

She's a popular female Senator from a Southern state. She's intelligent, articulate, and unlike Sarah Palin, probably knows that Africa is a continent, not a country. She would have appealed to many more moderates and female voters. But alas, she's pro-choice. Would this have alienated the Republican base, or would they still have come out to vote?

We'll never know. I'm still not sure he would have won, but I think it probably would have made the race much closer.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Kay "Baby", as she is affectionately known in Texas would have been a safer choice but I doubt it would have changed the outcome. The more I study the election the more I believe that the wind was behind Obama's back and nothing was going to stop it.

I think she will run for Governor in two years and kick Rick Perry's ass all the way back to the Panhandle.

Kenny Wyland said...

I certainly didn't have access to all of the insider information, but the bits that I did see convinced me that the election was far from a lock. I personally believe that if McCain had stayed McCain instead of becoming a non-McCain-GOP-shill, he would have had a better chance. When it came down to it though, I think Palin improved his numbers more than she hurt them and that the true moment where he lost the election was when he said the "fundamentals of the economy are strong."